Thursday 28 April 2011

AA

During my years as a drinking alcoholic, of course I tried AA, it's one of the most heavily advertised groups out there.

I phoned them, spoke to some nice people, got invited to groups, went along, but really and truthfully got nothing out of them.

All I can remember is the boredom of sitting there for so long, just waiting for people to stop standing up wanting to share, so that I could get to the offy and buy a drink.  Nothing said in the meetings hit me or held me or made me think I could be like them, nor did I want to be like them.  I wanted to be like me, but a sober me.

I didn't like the little sayings, they seemed smug, and still do, propped up on cards round gloomy rooms, usually in old churches reinforcing the spiritual tokenism which wasn't for me.

I know it's helped so many people, and I'm sure not putting it down, but there are other ways to get sober and I resent the way they say if you don't join AA you will not stop drinking.  If you're drowning in a hellish deep pit of despair, to hear that something you personally find annoying and no help at all, is the only thing that will get you sober, is pretty demoralising.

I really think they should stop saying that.  Unless they don't say it to everyone, but every meeting I went to they said it to me.

The people individually were pleasant, they meant well, some were kind, but the whole thing was too spiritual for me, I didn't believe in any higher power, I still don't.  I needed something tangible, something 'I' could believe in to hold on to at my bad times.

I found it in my family, as stated here, but I truly believe that AA is wrong if they are continuing to tell the lie that you can only stop drinking if you're with them.

To me it's like swapping one addiction for another, having to go to meetings once, or sometimes they say, twice a day.

We're all unique and AA doesn't work for all of us, for those it does work for then great, but we all should find our own way and AA maybe should state that there are other ways to stop.

Even the treatment centre I went to made us go to AA meetings once a week, I'd hide in the toilet till they'd gone, I just couldn't face it.

I had to hit my own rock bottom, I had to find my 'own' way of stopping, and I did and I hope that anyone reading this will truly believe that if AA isn't for them, then there are a million other ways to do it, just don't give up, it's possible, I know and a dear friend of mine has been sober for 15 years without AA.

My message is, AA is great if you like it and it works for you, but if not, YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT AA.

6 comments:

Diegotist said...

So happy you found success. I would venture to guess that more people get clean and sober without a 12 Step program than with one. These programs are for the people who are able to sober up other ways. My 12step program certainly was NOT Plan A. I am very grateful that the people I encountered followed our Tradition of "attraction and not promotion" which allowed me to make my own assessment of whether I needed it or not to sober up. They just told me their stories. No one told me I needed the program. I am enjoying reading your blog.

Diegotist said...

Correction: "for people who could NOT sober up other ways" :-)

I'm an alcoholic said...

Thanks Diego, I very much value your opinion as you're such a good writer and I love reading your blog.

Maybe the AA meetings I went to just happened to not fit with me at the time, but I think the continual meetings and being frightened that if I gave them up I'd go back to drinking would even now put me off.

I think it's good that nowadays there is not such a stigma to all this that people can more easily ask for help and be given more options.

There is something to suit everyone, but it just has to be their right time to stop.

Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog:-)

Elizabeth Peregrina said...

I did it out of my own will. Truth is I blacked out one to many times, and the last time I didn't pee in the toilet, if you get my drift - also TMI. It scared the beejeezus out of me. I knew I had to stop or spend my life wondering what I did the night before. As long as the desire to quit is stronger than the addiction, nothing else is needed, IMO. I never tried AA, seemed to depressing.

I'm an alcoholic said...

Good to hear and massive well done. I only went to AA as was told by docs etc that's the only way.

BUT got there in the end, just wish it had been sooner, lol, I just said that in my last comment, but it's always in my mind.

I understand the not knowing what you did the night before, that second you wake, everything is ok, but one second later, you lay stock still in bed, wondering/hoping you're in your own bed, hoping/praying you didn't do anything bad the night before, slowing dawning you did .... oh my .. bad times!!

Thanks for your support and sharing x

Anonymous said...

Here here.

Gincup